Born in Tel Aviv in 1930, Yaakov Kedmi received his M.JuR from the Faculty of Law at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. Kedmi served in the Military Advocacy from 1956-1969, eventually becoming the Chief Military Prosecutor. In 1977 he served as the Deputy Attorney General and was then appointed District Court Judge of Tel Aviv. In 1990 he was appointed the Director of the Courts and, in 1994, an Israeli Supreme Court Justice.
Kedmi taught at the Hebrew University Faculty of Law and Tel Aviv University and was later nominated Senior Lecturer and faculty member of Tel Aviv University. He has been a Senior Lecturer and the Principal of The School of Law at the Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya since 2000 and was appointed Associate Professor in 2010.
Kedmi has published a series of law books that are frequently used by Israeli judges.